High School Communications Contest
The NFPW High School Communications Contest inspires students to excel in their quest for excellence. The only nationwide communications competition for high school students, the contest is endorsed by the National Association of Secondary School Principals. Dow Jones announces first-place winners and promotes the competition in its publication distributed to journalism advisers across the nation, giving students and their teachers/advisers local and nationwide recognition.
2013 High School Communications Contest Winners by state (doc,pdf), by category (doc,pdf).
2012 High School Communications Contest national winners were honored at NFPW's annual conference in Scottsdale, Arizona.
2011 - 83 national winners were honored at the NFPW Communications Conference in Council Bluffs, Iowa.
Students compete in 20 categories: Editorial, Opinion, News Story, Feature Story, Sports Story, Environment, Column, Review, Feature Photo, Sports Photo, Cartooning, Graphics/Photo Illustration, Single-Page Layout, Double-Truck Layout, Video News Story, Video Feature Story, Video Sports Story, Yearbook Layout, Yearbook Photo and Yearbook Copywriting.
As with the NFPW Communications Contest, entrants compete at the affiliate or at-large level, with first-place winners moving on to compete at the national level.
Each winner will receive a certificate, with first-place winners also receiving $100 cash. Honors are presented during the High School Communications Contest Awards Luncheon at the annual conference. Some state affiliates provide financial assistance to students who attend the conference to receive their awards.
First-place in the affiliate and at-large contests advance to the national competition.
State Affiliate Contests
- Direct all questions to Gwen Woolf, 12507 Mortar Lane, Spotsylvania, Va. 22551. firstname.lastname@example.org 540-972-1789
- Deadlines for the 2014 State High School Communications Contest:
- State Affiliate entries: postmark by April 7, 2014.
- At-Large entries: postmark by March 7, 2014.
- 2014 High School Communications Contest Categories (doc,pdf)
- 2014 High School Communications Contest Guidelines (doc, pdf)
- 2014 High School Communications Contest Entry Form (doc, pdf)
- State Affiliate Directors List (doc, pdf)
- High School Communications Contest judging forms
Students living in a state with an NFPW affiliate participate through their state's high school competition. Students should contact their state high school competition director early in the school year for local details. Most state deadlines are in January and February to allow time for judging and processing for the national contest. First-place state winners advance to national competition.
Entry fees for the first-place state winners sent to the national competition are $10 per entry. A check for the entire amount of entry fees must accompany the entries.
Only those living in a state where there is no NFPW affiliate or where the affiliate does not conduct a contest may compete on an at-large basis. These states have no NFPW affiliate: Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wyoming. In addition, students attending Department of Defense Schools overseas are eligible to enter the At-Large Contest.
- 2014 At-Large Contest postmark deadline: March 7, 2014
- 2014 At-Large Entry fees: $10 per entry — FEE MUST ACCOMPANY EACH ENTRY
- Direct At-Large Contest questions to Deborah Elkins, c/o Virginia Lawyers Media, 707 E. Main St., Suite 1750, Richmond, Va. 23219, email@example.com, or call 804-783-0770, ext. 14021