High School Journalists: Deadline to enter is Feb. 21!
NFPW is proud to sponsor a three-tiered high school journalism competition, and we invite you to enter. That would be through your state affiliate or through the at-large contest if your state does not have an affiliate. First-place winners at the state level go on to national competition. All national first-place winners are again judged for the Best of the Best award. And $500.
The competition is now open and the deadline is Tuesday, Feb. 21, 2017
For more information and a link to this year's contest, go here: www.nfpw.org/highSchoolContest.php
Here is a description of our 23 competition categories.
And click here to see our 2016 national winners.
How to renew your membership
The holiday season is upon us, which also brings membership renewal time for affiliates and NFPW for 2017. Please visit the Join Us page for renewal information. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions!
NFPW's 2017 Communications Contest is live!
The annual NFPW Communications Contest is now live! Click here to learn more.
A few reminders:
- Your body of work must have been published from Jan. 1, 2016, to Dec. 31, 2016.
- You will submit your entry or entries into the State Affiliate or At-Large Contest. If your entry receives first place, it will then be advanced to the National Level Contest.
- If you chose to have your entry or entries advance to the National Level Contest, please remember that you and all of your co-entrants MUST be NFPW and affiliate members.
Many affiliates allow non-members to enter their contests. However, the national level of the contest requires you to become a member of NFPW and the affiliate.
We are excited for this year's contest and to explore the wonderful bodies of work our members have published in 2016!
2017 COA Nominations Due May 1, 2017
Behind every Communicator of Achievement is a great nomination packet.
To ensure that your packet is complete follow the checklist below:
A few tips in preparing the packet:
- If the nomination is not a surprise, spend time with the individual so that you can flesh out the narrative. Spending an hour or two together is a great way to learn more about the candidate's career and contributions. Often the anecdotal stories help make a candidate stand out.
- Ask the candidate or seek out endorsements from a half dozen or so individuals that covers the breadth of the COA's career and contributions. Keep a copy of each endorsement to share with the candidate. From the endorsements extract a few sentences to include in the packet.
- Samples of the nominee's work are limited to two pages. This is often the most frustrating part for those preparing the packets. You don't have to provide the entire work. You can share the first page of a multi-page magazine article or the leads of several newspaper stories. The work samples are simply that — samples.
The packets are intended to capture the breadth and depth of an individual's career and contributions. Once you have completed it, why not make a copy of it to give to your deserving nominee?
Nominations for COA, the highest honor bestowed by NFPW, are due May 1.
For complete information, contact the NFPW COA Director:
12507 Mortar Lane
Spotsylvania, Va. 22551
Giving to NFPW and the NFPW Education Fund
A donation to NFPW and the NFPW Education Fund is a great way to provide educational opportunities to members and students, provide for NFPW's long-term viability, and to ensure NFPW's many programs continue to operate. You can also make a gift to the organization as a lasting tribute to the memory of family members or friends.
Professional Development Webinars from Online Media Campus
NFPW members can now participate in high-quality, low-cost online professional development webinars from Online Media Campus, which is brought to you by the Southern Newspaper Publishers Association and Iowa Newspaper Foundation.
A typical webinar is a live one-hour session during the work day, costs $35 per phone line, and is archived afterward for repeat viewing. (If several people want to listen in and participate together in one room, the cost is still $35!)
For a complete list of current webinars, visit the Online Media Campus webinar schedule page.
Affordable Liability Insurance Available to NFPW Members.
Chubb has developed a media liability insurance program exclusively for members of the National Federation of Press Women. The program is affordably priced and is administered by Walterry Insurance Brokers, a brokerage firm that has been providing media liability coverage for over 20 years. Coverage is worldwide and protects you against claims arising from articles you have written which are published or disseminated by others. Information on this program is referenced on our Join page or you can contact the Media Department at Walterry Insurance Brokers at 800-638-8791. Read the full article.
The National Federation of Press Women is a dynamic nationwide organization of professional women-and men-pursuing careers across the communications spectrum.
Membership in NFPW is a solid investment in your career, providing opportunities to develop your professional skills, receive recognition for your work, network with peers, protect the First Amendment, and nurture the next generation of communicators.
Hot off the press
Marsha's Match Point Blog
NFPW President Marsha Hoffman shares her perspectives.
Talking With Teri
Former NFPW President Teri Ehresman highlights some of the Unique and Unbelievable members of the National Federation of Press Women.
Insights on communication trends and techniques from former NFPW President and 2012 Communicator of Achievement Cynthia Price.
In this edition of the NFPW newsletter:
* 2017 Conference Tours Take Shape
* First Amendment Update
* COA nominee primer
Affordable Libel Insurance.
NFPW members — including freelancers and other individual communicators — are eligible for affordable media liability coverage through a program developed exclusively for the National Federation of Press Women.
NFPW Logo Wear!
We have a variety of shirts, sweatshirts and sleeveless vests with the NFPW logo embroidered on the front. Order today and wear them with pride.
When you click our link to Amazon.com, your purchases help earn money for NFPW!